Pages

5.04.2011

The clothing dilemma

Confession: I hate to shop! I love the idea of shopping and picking out cute clothes and having an amazing wardrobe. I'm always excited as I head to the mall, with a list of things I want to purchase seared into my brain. It's a breeze pulling clothes off the rack and bringing them home and living happily ever after, right? Wrong!

I usually leave the store frustrated and empty-handed, swearing I'll never shop again. Yet, I do and the same situation happens 90% of the time. Either I find something I like and it's too expensive/wrong size/etc. or I just can't find a single thing I could see myself wearing. It doesn't help that I feel very guilty about spending money on myself, so I frequently leave behind items I really love even with my husband insisting that I "need" them.

But I'm ready to turn over a new leaf. I literally hate 75% of my clothes and dread getting dressed in the morning. I also wear the same outfits pretty much week after week; I hope my co-workers haven't caught on yet. lol. So I'm ready to bite the bullet and spend some money on me. Life's no fun when you feel bad about yourself due to your boring clothes, right?

I've made a plan to donate a good portion of my clothing and slowly build my closet back up with pieces that I absolutely love (no matter how much it costs) and can't wait to wear. Also, items that are versatile and will last several seasons. This may take a year or two to accomplish, but once it's complete, it will be easy to add a few new pieces in to create all new outfits without having to start all over again.

I've made a list of all the items I need (I'll post that another time) and am probably going to do a lot of online shopping, since my real-life shopping always ends in ruin. I'm lucky that I work in a casual environment where I can wear jeans if I want to, so my work wardrobe and my home wardrobe are basically the same. I still want to be budget-conscious in regards to my purchases, but if I truly love something and will wear it until it falls apart, I'm ok with spending extra on it.

I leave you with a mood board of Spring essentials from my style hero Lauren Conrad :) If I can end up even half as stylish as her, I will declare this little experiment a major success.

2 comments:

  1. I think all of your outfits are adorable? What don't you like?

    Piperlime.com is a great site, they usually have good sales. Also shipping & returns are free with no minimum purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the main problem is all my clothes are so old that I'm just bored with them. Plus, most of them don't really flatter me since they're cheap and don't fit well.

    So I'm starting over :) I've needed to do this for years, but always put it off. I'll have to check piperlime out. It's a little overwhelming to have so much to buy, but I'm trying to pace myself.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs